Sherlock Holmes


Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Directed by Guy Ritchie
Length: 128 minutes
Rated PG-13 for intense sequence of violence and action, some startling images and a scene of suggestive material




I'll admit that I am not a huge Holmes aficionado; I have never read the mysteries concerning the famous detective. However, I am familiar with the past works of Guy Ritchie (Rock'n'Rolla; Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels) the former husband of musician Madonna and VERY BRITISH film director. Famous for his British sense of humor and slow paced action, many wondered how Ritchie's stab at the famous detective would turn out. What will undoubtedly turn into a multiple sequel franchise (no detective needed for this conclusion), I can only hope the initial effort is not a reflection of things to come.

Immediately thrust into the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson, played by Robert Downey, Jr. (The Soloist, Iron Man 2) and Jude Law (The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Repo Men) respectively, Sherlock Holmes waste little time in showcasing the deductive reasoning employed by Holmes. After arresting and executing an occult following murderer know as Lord Blackwood, said murderer returns from the grave attempting to overcome all attempts by Holmes to reason his return and in turn stop him once again. And that's about it. Unfortunately, for a mystery movie, the story is bland, often relying on deus ex machina ("God in the machine" or any artificial or improbable device resolving the difficulties of a plot) to resolve any discrepancies. I had trouble caring about the characters or really enjoying the development of the plot. Instead of a coherent flow from one scene to the next, I felt like each scene was a different story within itself, leaving me saying "so what" at the end.
Mirroring the dark, dirty, and demoralizing setting of industrial England, the story simply lacks flashes of color.

While I did not enjoy the plot or most of the characters, RDJ (Robert Downey, Jr. if you dig) does do a great job as the eccentric detective. RDJ has long had success portraying characters "not quite there", displaying multiple ticks and oddities that provide the right balance of humor and seriousness to almost any role. In fact, the movie was at its best whenever it relied on dialogue generated between Holmes and Watson, often lagging any other time. The playful, bromantic banter between the two "friends" often provided the most chuckles and enjoyment. I have never been a huge Jude Law fan, but the chemistry between Holmes and Watson is hard to deny. Both employee the right balance of comfort and edginess that allow the two to work; if only the rest of the characters (including villains and love interest) could add more depth to the film.

While I did not hate this movie, I certainly had a hard time enjoying it. Considering many fans of Sherlock Holmes initially worried the movie would be more summer action blockbuster and less detective movie, I have to admit I found the movie quite boring. For an action movie clocking in at about two hours, I lost interest from almost the opening minutes. Though I thoroughly enjoyed RDJ's performance, it was not enough to overcome the shortcomings of Holmes's initial voyage. While there will most likely be a sequel, I can only hope Sherlock is able to learn from his shortcomings and develop a more enjoyable experience the next go around. Guess we will have to wait for the "other" Sherlock Holmes film starring Sasha Baron Cohen and Will Ferrell, now.

Final Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Favorite Quote:
Sherlock Holmes: [naked and handcuffed to a bed] "Madame, I need you to remain calm and trust me, I'm a professional. Beneath this pillow lies the key to my release."

Oscar Nominations:
Best Achievement in Art Direction
Best Original Score

1 comment:

  1. I, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the story line was very Holmes-esque and the use of symbology and themes would have made Sir Arthur Conan Doyle proud. The casting was pretty spot on, (and, easy on the eyes) and the period setting was great. This one had my attention from the beginning. Maybe you should read one of Conan Doyle's classics and watch it again. Then, you'll be able to appreciate it. I thought it was a very good piece of work from Ritchie & Co.

    ReplyDelete